Friday, May 13, 2011

Cookies and confirmation

Hello,

Leroy asked if I would help with confirmation class as they were going to do a mini global mission awareness night. It would only involve about a fifteen minute talk on Slovakia. Students would rotate through so it would be necessary to do it about three times. That sounded like an easy job so I gladly said yes.

Then a few days before the class he announced that he would like to have me/us make some med (honey) cookies. Because I so rarely make cookies my skill level is below the basement, but again I agreed to do it if he would help me. He also does not make cookies so it fit that saying the blind leading the blind.

I did check to see that I had butter in the freezer since I so rarely have it in the house. There was enough for the recipe. Just before we made the cookies I read through the recipe and learned I should not have forced myself to use the powdered sugar left from the fastnachts. “Oh well,” I airily said, “we will just use regular sugar.”

“What is the difference?” Leroy wanted to know.

“I think that is because the sugar in Slovakia was not the same as what we have here and we were trying to match it.” I rather authoritatively responded.

The recipe said to mix all ingredients. So I put them in the bowl in the order given and started to mix. I should have mixed the dry ingredients separately as the spices seemed to hang in their own little group. After muttering, stirring, pushing, smashing, and cursing lightly it was mostly mixed.

At the end of two hours chilling in the refrigerator, we realized we had no cookie cutters and just used a glass. We got out some dough and manfully managed to make it into a ball that could be rolled with more of the mixing techniques listed above.

Is it ok to take such well blessed treats to a church function? We only had one for everyone and I did not eat one. Some did comment on how good they were.

One of the main reasons I do not make cookies is that I am always shocked by the amount of sugar and butter in relationship to the amount of flour. Seems to me they should be an occasional treat rather than every week or even more frequently.

Paula

No comments: