Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wildlife

Hello,

I had previously thought I would talk about bugs when using this title. For some reason those Asian Beetles think they are not wild life but are domesticated into my living space.

However I zoomed away from bugs this morning when I excitedly said, “Leroy, come see! There is either a fox or a coyote in the back yard.”

I watched this dull yellow dog like animal come out of the trees, stop, sniff the air, and move with caution into view. By the time Leroy pushed himself off the couch and shuffled out to the kitchen the animal was behind the twig pile. We waited a bit and it came out. It was really too large and light colored for a red fox and not gray as a gray fox.

“Maybe it is a dog?” I said.

“It looks more like a coyote to me,” Leroy said. “I am going to get the binoculars.”

This was certainly the mangiest looking animal I had seen around here. With the help of the binoculars we both believe that it was indeed a coyote. We watched as it walked furtively across the parking lot and off between the houses.

Neither of us had ever seen a coyote except in pictures. Life is so strange that we would get our first close look in a city of 25,000. True it is the edge of the city, but still there are a lot of people around to disturb it. Keep your eyes open you never know what might walk through.

Paula

No comments: