Sunday, February 6, 2011

No parties, book discussion group, and those birds

Hello,

Leroy and I are not going to any super bowl parties. That makes us almost un-American I am sure. Luckily because there are so many million of Americans we are probably not alone, but we just don’t know where the others are.

It is so exciting. More people want to join the book discussion group. There are eight of us for sure and possibly two more as well. There are even two men. How is that for diversity? Our first book will be Big enough to be inconsistent: Abraham Lincoln on slavery and racism. The reason for choosing this one? It is short with less than 200 pages, the library has multiple copies, and when Leroy and I visited the Lincoln museum in DC we noticed that it is a bit ambiguous where Lincoln stood on the issue of racial equality. I have needed something like this to catch my interest away from dusting and cleaning. I am so looking forward to being able to talk to others about books that I have read.

Those robins have been having a feeding frenzy all day again today. I think there were more than 50 out there. Once I counted 14 resting in a neighboring tree. It is so hard to count them on the ground because they are not like our quiet sitting congregations instead they are fluttering around all of the time. However they do not talk a lot, in fact almost none of that happens.

We did read in the bird book that some robins stay in this area all winter. However they tend to stay in wooded areas in the winter or they will come to a fruit tree. Seems they tell everyone about the fruit because I think the numbers are increasing. It will be disappointing when they have eaten all of the fruit and seek out a new lunch counter. The tree is only about 6-10 feet from the house so we can just stare at them all we like. What a gift!

Paula

No comments: