Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Candle and bird reporting

Hello,

We got a soy candle as a gift from a store for being new in town. This container had a lid that I was unable to get off with a firm uplift. Next I tried going under the edge with a kitchen knife and even pounded it on the counter as my mother used to do when she could not get a jar open. Leroy also tried that firm uplift. Later he tried jar openers followed by one of us holding the top and one holding the bottom. There is a plastic part connected to the lid. Leroy thought cutting that might break the seal, but no luck. I wondered about taking it outside and breaking the jar by throwing it on the cement, but thought I might contact the company first.

The label said made in Wapello, Iowa. We know that is just to the north of us. I found their website and sent them an email. They called to tell me that no one had ever complained about such a thing. They could not imagine what had happened. This morning a guy came to give me a new candle that is easy to open and take mine. When he looked at it he said they had maybe sold 1000 of that particular style and if they were all bad they would have had hundreds of calls. As has happened in the past when I have struggled to open something and Leroy walks in and opens it without effort, I was thinking he might just pop it off with ease. He could not get the lid off either. His suggestion was that someone might have glued it shut. Why, I have no idea.

I think these candles are a great idea since they grow the soy and then have found an additional use for it.

Today I did not see any robins until almost ten o’clock. The largest count that I have is 20. Most of them must have found a new feeding place. Now we need to have more snow or a serious melt with rain to get rid of all the junk on the ground under this tree. I can’t complain since I have found it so interesting.

Paula

No comments: