Friday, March 17, 2023

Family Visit

Hello, Last night we met my brother and his family as well as my brother-in-law for a visit and a meal. I was to be responsible for the reservation at the restaurant. I do not like to make phone calls so I put if off. We could not get an answer at this place so ended up there and learned that it was closed as they were on vacation. Groan! I felt so responsible for this glitch in timing. We went to another place and had a very nice visit as we waited to be seated and then during the meal. It was maybe even better than the original place. It lightly rained almost all the time on the drive to the place. That is not such a deal, but I feel requires more concentration. Leroy, who was not driving, did take a short nap. He is working five days this week. When we made a plan for this week, I assured him that I would drive and he could sleep both drives which is a bit over an hour each. On the way home the rain was much more serious. In the dark it required serious concentration for me to see the side of the road. Leroy assisted me with turns and from time to time keeping in my lane. After about fifteen minutes in the country the rain was pinging against the car. We believe it had become sleet. It was coming down so thick that it was difficult to see. The wind required me to steer against it or into it depending on the angle of the road. I was happy when someone would pass me on the four-lane road and I could follow their tail lights as long as I could see them. It was about another twenty minutes later and the sleet turned to snow. It was much quieter and I did not really need the windshield wipers. I was especially alert over any bridges or overpasses as I was watching the temperature go down and those surfaces often freeze first. It never got lower than 33 F. degrees so it was good. The roads were warm from the 47 degrees in the daylight. So that was good. We did not really see snow on the grass and cars until we were back in our city. Then I felt quite secure. Leroy did stay awake for the entire ride home. I was grateful as I like a little company when the going is harder. Paula

No comments: