Saturday, January 23, 2021

Techno Day

Hello,

 

For the book club at church we have been meeting on my free meeting account which cuts us off after 40 minutes. This month Sarah let us use her account which she had paid for the holidays, so there was no time limit. I read in consumer reports that another was more highly rated that the jprogram we have been using. It will let you be on for 24 hours which is much more than we need.

 

I invited members of the club to meet with me today so we could do a trial run with the program. Unfortunately we had a bit of difficulty with it. We could not move between speaker view and grid view even though those options would be clicked on by any of us at any time. I could only see one person as the speaker and no one else ever got in the big picture even when they talked. Two of the people who were using tablets could not get their video to work even after pushing on the video icon numerous times. There were other confusing things but I have forgotten just what they were. I spoke with one of our daughters and her nine year old. The nine year old is all excited about trying to solve this mystery.

 

The voicemail answer greeting on our home phone is just the company recording so I decided today to track down how to change that. We have a voice over Internet protocol (VIP). I went to the service web site and did a great deal of searching before I was able to find the instructions buried several layers deep.

 

I went in using the little box and got it done in three minutes. However, when I called the number with my cell phone, I got some automated man’s generic greeting. I mumbled and did not really leave a message. Unfortunately that message was not saved. Groan! After we ate supper, or dinner, depending on to whom you are speaking, I called the number again and heard my own recorded message. I could leave a message and access it later. Maybe I just did not give the system enough time? But then how much time do electronic things need to work? Does anyone know?

 

Paula

No comments: