Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Birds at the Feeder

Hello,

 

Our bird feeder has had a slow start on the bird pipeline. It was a week or more that it had been up when I saw my first bird, a black cap chickadee. That was longer than a month ago. It seemed that another week or even two went past before the second chickadee caught my attention. Last week I saw a group of starlings struggle to land on the window ledge or the feeder. The entire setup seems to be aimed at smaller birds.



 

When I reported the starlings to Leroy he told me, “I saw some sparrows and chickadees there yesterday.”

 

“And you did not report that to me?” I asked wondering how such exciting news slipped his mind. His mind is not functioning at the great level that it used to in the past. Actually we both seem to forget more than was ordinary before.

 

Today I was gifted to see a multiple bird feeding that lasted for quite a long time. Only one or possibly two birds were ever around at the same moment. One would sit on the feeder and one might sit on the window ledge for just a short stay. I saw the chickadees and nut hatches. Only one nut hatch was ever there, but they seemed to be the dominate species as the chickadees flew away as soon as they approached. In the tree I also saw a downy woodpecker. It was a great bird watching day. I even learned that I could move around the kitchen some and be ignored if I did not get too close to the window.

 

Paula

No comments: