Monday, October 19, 2020

Voted

Hello,

 

Leroy and I have now turned in our ballots. We got them in the mail, but waited a while to check on an Iowa Constitution question. We had heard nothing about it so it took a little time to check that out. There was still plenty of time so I just put it aside. Last weekend Leroy filled his out and sealed it up. I decided I should also get it done since he had. I filled out my ballot and put it in the envelope. A signature is required on the envelop for it to be valid. As I was signing, I noticed that the envelop had Leroy’s name on it. Oh no, when I checked I saw that he had used my envelop.

 

I grumped around in my mind for a while before I called the county office. The response was that Leroy should cross out his name and initial it. Then I could sign the proper envelop. I had to do the same because I had started to sign his. We both felt very uncomfortable with this so we went to the office to drop it off to a person.

 

She said, “Do not worry your vote will count, it is valid. You have done the correct thing. Many married couples have done this.”

 

She then stamped the envelops with an official stamp and put them in the proper container.

 

I was almost afraid to talk about this since I know some of my Republican friends feel that mail in ballots are the venue of voter fraud. But I feel this will be ok and our votes will count without question. We have not tried to commit voter fraud, but we want to be safe in the voting process.

 

Lesson learned: Do not let the ballots near each other in this house.

 

Paula

No comments: