Saturday, October 10, 2020

The Bradway Walk

Hello,

 

Last night, Leroy and I went for a walk. It turned into a Bradway Walk. That means I was walking at almost top speed to keep up with Leroy. Leroy had his walking sticks tapping away. After a while, I kept saying, “We do not have to walk this fast. If you need to rest we could pause for a while.”

 

Leroy just smirked at me and kept up the pace. In the last stretch, he did take a short break and then slowed down. I do not know how many steps I had before the walk, but it was over 10,000 by the time we were done. We did a fairly long loop. He even rode his bike to work today. At least on Saturday he does not have much traffic to pay attention to. I take all this as an indication that he is feeling much better. I am grateful.

 

For one of my book clubs, we are reading Elderhood : redefining aging, transforming medicine, reimagining life by Louise Aronson. I recommend it for anyone who is lucky enough to reach this venerable stage of life. It gives some hints about how to navigate. I liked Women Rowing North by Mary Pipher better than this one. Both are good and have different points to make. The former is a doctor and the later a clinical psychologist, but each values the people populating this demographic. I guess I am getting old at the right time to benefit from changing attitudes.

 

Paula

No comments: