Wednesday, November 28, 2018

More Cold Trash

Hello,



Today is my day off so I had time to go out and pick up more trash. I bundled for the cold with long underwear and the works in scarves. Was it not so cold, no wind, more clothes, or that I have become a bit more accustomed to the cold that I felt quite fine and made the rest of the block without any cold penetration. Even thought it was only half of the amount of space, compared to days when I do the entire block, I managed to pick up enough trash to fill two plastic grocery sacks. Both of these bags were ones that I had picked up on the previous trip. I snagged another one that will be used another time. I know my life has much plastic in it and some of it I find quite helpful, but plastic is the bane of outdoor litter. I would like to see it curtailed. Wrappings of many types are out there floating around. I suspect it is not good in the landfills either as deterioration is so slow. Just what are we doing to ourselves and our future inhabitants?



One guy came out when I was by his house. From how he first started to talk I was concerned that he might have been offended. Instead he said, “We saw you out front and said, “Look at that sweet lady picking up the trash.””



He even offered me money for doing it. I politely declined. At least I tried to be polite but firm. Hopefully it will be cleaner where I have gathered. It is my understanding that once things are picked up it is more difficult for people to litter. When lots of litter is out there somehow people feel it is ok to add to the amount.



I wear my step tracker when I do this walking, but it does not record many steps. I wonder if part of that is because I carry the bags on that arm so it does not get much movement.



My mantra as I was walking is that the earth is one of my most precious gifts and I must be care for it.



Paula

No comments: