Monday, November 26, 2018

Cold Trash

Hello,



Because I had not picked up trash in the neighborhood for some time, it seemed that this morning with no snow would be a good time to go out. I bundled for the 23 degree F. weather, but thought that just going around the block would not take so long. I am not sure it if was the wind or just people “dropping” things as they walked, but there was a lot of stuff out there. The gloves from the city are woven and holey. They are a bit large so I put on some slim gloves under them, hoping to keep my hands warm. It worked somewhat. Cold seeped in as time went on. It was also difficult to almost impossible to pick up the cigarette butts. It was also difficult not to pick up leaves or other natural phenomena. Mostly the leaves fell back to the earth with a brisk shake of the hand. Eventually the cigarette butts were passed over to be picked up a warmer day.



Perhaps because I had not picked up for a long time or perhaps because of the strong winds that we have been experiencing, one grocery bag was full before I even did the short end of the block. After the long end the second bag was full. The city provides trash pickup bags that can be put out “free” with the regular garbage. With the addition of those two bags my bag is almost full. By the time I had done just the two sides of the block, cold was penetrating in around my face, legs, and hands. Maybe I should have worn a face mask. I do have such, but it did not seem like it should be so cold, yet.



Tomorrow morning I will try to get back out to finish the walk around the block. Surely it will be warmer tomorrow?



Now an emergency “warmer things” bag is ready to put in car. Sometimes when the weather is bad and I am coming home at 8:00 pm, I am almost alone on the road. I hope these things could help me if I needed to be out in the cold for a longer period of time. At least I feel prepared.



Paula

No comments: