Monday, November 12, 2018

Brain as Sieve



Hello,



I had a brilliant idea of something that I wanted to write, but that idea is no longer residing in my brain. Where did it go? Should I send the file clerk to retrieve it? I used to think that a very, very small person lived in my head and they could go fetch some idea when I needed it, because I had thought it before.



I do remember that I walked to the grocery store this morning. It felt much colder to me than I remembered 24 degrees F. feeling. Apparently my body leaks knowledge as well. Needless to say I walked briskly along.



I was quite surprised to see so many vehicles in the parking lot. Through the glass I could see so many people were seated in the eating area. When I entered the building I saw a sign, “Free breakfast for veterans.” That explains it. Many of these veterans looked rather shabby. I was particularly happy to have them get this appropriate gift. In my mind it is much better than a coffee mug.



Too bad there cannot be free breakfast for other groups as well. It seems to me that it must be hard to always go get a free meal when it shows everyone that you are not able to manage on your own. Free to all because I am part of a particular group, means I do not have to declare my need.



I had a friend who told me that she used food stamps for a time. She described her first visit to the store as one of the most emotionally difficult things she had done. At the time she felt that she was declaring to the world that she was poor and she felt of less value because of it. This certainly gave me some new thoughts on the subject, but unfortunately no solutions that would help people climb out of that rut and mire of degradation.



Paula

No comments: