Sunday, December 2, 2018

Chewing Squirrels, Stewing Pumpkin


Hello,



Today when out at the compost bin, I could hear a scratching sound. I knew that a squirrel had to be somewhere in one of the trees working on a nut as I have heard that sound before. I found the squirrel tucked up against the walnut tree trunk with its tail sheltering its back. Soon I knew from the symphony of sound that there had to be more up there. It was not long before I spotted two more in much the same posture. I am not sure why I like this find so much, but it fills me with good feelings. I marvel at the power of those teeth that can work their way through the tough, hard shell that requires much strength to crack when using a hammer. Also there is such persistence in being fed with a relatively small amount of nut for the quantity of work.



We have had a pumpkin in the house for decoration. Today I cut it up with much power and almost sawing to get through the unyielding skin. It was a victory to get the last sections apart so they could be put in the pan to steam. As Leroy was working at church, therefore he was no help to me. I also scrapped off the seeds, but did not clean them as I do not especially like them. Leroy likes them so if he wants them he will have to do the cleaning, drying, and roasting. I am not going to be too generous.



The pumpkin pulp is cooked and in the refrigerator, resting until I decide what to do with it. I am tempted to just serve it like squash; after all it is in the same family. But another day will do for that decision process.



Paula

No comments: