Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Stories for Grandchildren

Hello,



I have been writing down some of the stories that I tell my grandchildren. I like to write, but I find it easier to tell these stories than to write them. Perhaps, because the writing that I normally do, is for adults rather than children it does not flow easily when I am writing for a younger audience. When I am with the children stories seem to slip easily out of my mouth. It has been a tradition for me to tell stories for years and the kids often ask for them. I write a story for their birthday. Just this last year or two, I have included my sister’s three youngest grandchildren so that means I must write nine tales per year. I am finding that to be a bit of a chore. The stories have been kept on a flash drive so I am not repeating myself. I am starting to wonder just how many stories there are in my head. My brother does not seem them so he cannot correct my telling. I get to be the authority.



I used to finish these stories in plenty of time to mail them to the birthday child, but lately I am struggling to get them done in a decent amount of time. I now trust the US mail to get them there in one or two days. I know that kids enjoy hearing the stories, but I am not sure that they like the written versions as I do not hear much about them.



From reading my stories, my niece was surprised to learn that Carolyn and I shared a bedroom as her mom, my sister, always referred to that bedroom as “her” room. We shared all of my life until she went off to college. Since she did not go right after graduation and I am three years younger, I would imagine that I was 16 years old. Perhaps because Carolyn was older, she certainly controlled how we managed that room so it felt like her room to her.



Paula

No comments: