Saturday, September 22, 2018

Harp Concert

Hello,



Someone offered/gave tickets to a harp concert that they were unable to attend. It was last night, but Leroy was not feeling well. The second person I asked was able to come. Because it was at the nearby college, I walked and she met me there. She is well into her eighties and on the way out of the building she commented that she was a bit unsteady on her feet. I stayed close as she navigated the steps out of the building and walked her to her car. There is a lot of light, but it is still not like sunlight. She insisted that she could give me a ride home. Even though I like to walk I could not come up with a convincing enough reason to just walk home. I got the impression that she enjoyed the time visiting. She lives alone, but goes out frequently, maybe even especially at night since she often goes to many of the musical offerings in Cedar Rapids. I hope I am as gutsy as she is when I get about 16 more years down the road. I do like living in a small city as I believe it is more comfortable to get around and not so dangerous for older drivers with not so much other traffic to contend with.



The harp was played by a young woman in her late twenties who had study classical harp and played with symphonies in England. She now has an electric harp which has a mike on each of the 47 strings as well as two on the sounding board. She brought a speaker and a looper (whatever that is). The sounds were like nothing I would have expected a harp to produce. It was quite amazing. She stopped between each piece and explained what she was doing with some of her equipment. Many of the students were in the audience. They were quite enthusiastic. She now lives in the USA and works in the film industry. Some of the sounds were quite other worldly or maybe like the ocean. The looper allowed her to record some of her sounds and use them as the percussion for her piece. I am glad that I went and was exposed to this totally new, for me, way of approaching the harp.



She had a Q&A session afterward. I learned that her harp was made in France and costs about what a car costs.



Paula

No comments: