Friday, September 28, 2018

Sidewalk Users

Hello,



On my walk to choir, I heard music coming closer. I turned around when I realized it was not coming from a car. Bikes often ride on the sidewalk instead of the busy street, but this was not a bike. I stepped out of the way to let a motorized wheelchair zoom on past with its smiling large male driver.



When I got to the stoplight he was still waiting to cross. I told him, “That is a nice chair, allowing you to get around well.”



“It will go 15,” he said.



I commented, “I heard the music, so I knew to look at what was coming.”



He replied, “I do not have a horn.”



“You could have run me over,” I laughed.



“Oh I would not do that,” he replied. “I watch carefully. I have almost been hit a couple of times.”



The light changed, we crossed together, and he went off his way as I followed my path.



What a good thing that most of the curbs have been made accessible to people with various disabilities. How did people manage when I was growing up as high curbs were in almost all places? I guess it was just too bad if you could not get around. I am sure many stayed at home or at least needed a helper to get from one height to another.



Paula

No comments: