Sunday, January 14, 2018

Snow and Ice

Hello,



Yesterday when Leroy and I were out test driving the car, Leroy backed up to a snow bank using the backup camera. The salesman had him back up farther than we would ever have done, but it was all ok. He was showing us the features of the camera. At that point Leroy and I changed seats so I could drive. As I stepped out I noticed the ice by the passenger side of the car. I circled in front of the car and went on to the back so I could see just how close that snow was. It was amazing because we still had about a foot to go before hitting it, just as we had been told. I then went to the driver’s door and started to get in the car. I noticed that Leroy and the salesman were both outside of the car. I wondered what that was about, especially when I heard the salesman ask, “Are you alright?”



To which Leroy replied, “I am ok. I did not fall very hard.”



“You fell down?” I asked in astonishment.



“Yes, I slipped on the ice.” Leroy told me.



It still mystifies me to know that drama was happening close to me and I had no idea.



This morning the thermometer registered 5 above when we were ready to leave for church. Leroy knew of a little free library close to the church so I had packed quite a few books in two backpacks with a supply for a friend’s little free library as well as some soap to be used for new born kits.



What we quickly realized was that we were weighted down and heading into a wind that was quite uncomfortable. Weighted down means we do not move as fast as when free. Also the surface was not good on my sidewalks so we spent time walking on the grass instead or even in the street once in a while. Fortunately we did not have to go far out of the way to get to that library. Leroy was happy to drop off part of his load. Both of us were pleased to get into the building with all body parts still feeling pain and not numb.



The walk home two hours later was much more pleasant as the wind was often at our backs. Also the temp was now at 20. Still not so wonderful, but much better than it had been. If we could just find ways to block the wind we would be happy. We do watch out for buildings that help us and zigzag to keep the wind in two directions rather than one for a long time.



Paula

No comments: