Friday, January 26, 2018

Bus to Airport

January 25, 2018
Hello,
Two days ago, although it seems much farther back in history, Leroy and I collected all of our packed items, went down the stairs, up to the far end of the block, and settled in to wait for the bus which we hoped we had not missed. Bus times in this city have some varation in when they come; even though we were ahead of time it feels a little risky to be as close to the possible time as we were. I was just considering our alternative options when the bus came. There were plenty of seats and we settled in as if we belonged. The bus driver then told Leroy he would have to get the suitcase out of the aisle as about 20 people were getting on at the next stop. Usually we have plenty of space on thhe bus. I almost morn the lack of riders because that makes bus service more expensive to upgrade. Leroy had a little bit of a struggle moving the luggage. and we took up three seats as two of the backpacks sat on one seat. Leroy had the large suitcase tucked in close. Later at another stop, with more riders, he had to put it on his lap. He complained about the weight after we got off. While on the bus, I looked around and had an amazing thought, "These are my people." Somehow a feeling that could be described as love for them seemed to fill me. Should I be doing something different with my life?
The man who sat next to me was a bit of a talker and he was sure that I needed to be told many things about riding the bus. Did I look like a newbie?
At the downtown station, Leroy bought a second bus pass so I would have one to use. Because we need the senior pass we have to have their ID which I also could not find.
The second bus we take was not so crowded, but still had a number of riders. I am happy to see that because I believe the more riders the better changes of the them increasing the service. I know that some people depend on it as their only mode of transportation.
We did get to the airport quite early because a later bus would get us there closer to our departure time than we were comfortable with. At least we had plenty of time to do all of the airport tasks of check in and security.
Paula

No comments: