Sunday, July 10, 2016

Walking in the rain

Hello,

I noticed some clouds before Leroy and I headed off to church. After checking the report on only one source we headed off without an umbrella. Coming out of church it was much cloudier and more threatening looking. We started off at a brisk walk. A man cutting lilies by a former church caught my eye. I convinced Leroy to go that way so I could compliment him on the good job he was doing.

While visiting we learned that he and his wife were renting the long vacant building. I noticed that he was cutting the lilies off at the ground. I asked, “Can I take some of these flowers home?”

“Sure,” he said handing me his pruners. I harvested several of the beautiful bright yellow blossoms that were left. In the meantime he is talking about what they were planning for this building. Then he asked, “Would you like to see the inside?”

We were both happy to see it. He rang the doorbell and his wife answered. They gave us a nice tour of the main area and what they were expecting to have happen there.

In the course of the conversation Leroy commented that he worked at the Czech-Slovak museum. The woman announced that she is giving a class there on costumes of a period. Leroy knew there was to be just such a class, but not who was doing it. He told her about some books in the library that she might find of interest. By the time we left the sky was seriously dark and ominous. We moved at top speed with me running from time to time to catch up with walking Leroy. Rain drops started before we went two more blocks. At least it was not many drops  and it looked as we might get home. Three blocks from home the rain began dropping down with gusto. Leroy suggested we stop under a fir tree that was quite thick. I dislike standing under trees in a rainstorm, but did it anyway as it was quite dry. We could see water pouring off the roof across the way. With only one crack of thunder and about ten minutes later we left the shelter of the tree and headed on home with a much lighter rain. Again I was barely able to keep up with Leroy. I should practice running or at least jogging.


Paula

No comments: