Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Leroy Update

Hello,

Leroy once again called the eye dr. to learn about the status on his new glasses which were ordered two and a half weeks ago. The Dr.’s office called the supply place to learn that there had been some quality control issues. The glasses are now done and Leroy should get them on Thursday. We are praying for perfection in those glasses so that Leroy can resume his normal activities such as driving himself where he wants to go. It has helped quite a lot since he has used the bike for the last two weeks, but there are some places that are not so easily accessed by bike. We are grateful the he does not have pain with this he just cannot see out of both eyes at the same time. The eye patch is hot and sometimes itchy plus he seems to get quite tired by the end of the day. I have been getting him large print books from the library because he would rather read paper than from his tablet.

I have gone back to the community garden and checked the zucchini for those bugs. I found several egg batches which I tore off and stomped, some groups of almost newly hatched youth that I sprayed with soap and water, and some adults that I caught and stomped on. I was delighted to get a mating pair ground into the dirt. That pair should reduce my find tomorrow. It takes quite a while to look under all these leaves, but at least only one plant has died and the others, in spite of some torn leaves look quite healthy.

I am not a Hindu with a reverence for all of life. It bothers me a little how much satisfaction I derived in the death of others, even if they are insects. We always make excuse when they are a “lesser” species, but is that right? Is that how people who kill people manage to do that? They put the victims in the category of being lesser and so of not so much importance as they are themselves? I suspect there are no easy answers.


Paula

No comments: