Friday, July 8, 2016

Ants-pants

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have been in the garden. All this Leroy attention must wear me out. His drive to work is becoming quite intimate with me. I am learning the shape and position of the random potholes.

Last time I was in the garden I enjoyed pulling weeds that came up easily. While pulling around a mystery vine that Leroy has been told is a false cucumber I suddenly felt ants biting my ankle. Glancing down, I spotted many climbing around on my shoes. Immediately I started flapping at them with my hand and stomping around a little. Next I searched out the ones biting my ankles. Once this tiny ant grabs hold it seems to feel that it is attached for life. Each of them had to be purposefully brushed off. Soon I realized that some had crawled up my loose pant legs. I pulled up the legs as far as I could, to get rid of them. Had I been out in the country I would have taken off this outer layer. Being in town, I opted for more pain and discreetness.  Eventually I got every ant that I could see with its head buried in some part of my skin. Unfortunately the burning did not stop immediately so I headed home. Luckily no one was around so I stripped off my pants and left them on the back porch.

I remember these ants from last year. They leave a lasting impression. I did not see any in the spot they had occupied before, but they must have moved. I wonder why move?  Just to catch me unawares? Sometimes in life I forget that the smallest things can cause quite a response.


Paula

No comments: