Monday, July 11, 2016

On the Bike

Hello,

Yesterday Leroy got in four walking miles. He was so steady in the rain when I was trying to catch up that I encouraged him to go out and ride his bike up and down the alley to see how that went. It went well so we headed out on a longer ride together. I suggested around the neighborhood, but he wanted to go down to Cedar Lake which is close.

He put his pirate patch over his right eye so he would be most aware of the traffic on his left because we ride on the right side of the road. Part of the way there is a designated bike lane that I think most drivers respect so that also makes it feel safer. I have been surprised that some people in church noticed that Leroy had the patch on one eye one week and the other the next. I do not believe I would be so observant. Leroy told me that several people have commented on it. It certainly adds lightness to it if it can be used anywhere.

I rode behind Leroy so, “I can pick up the pieces,” I told him. Actually it is because I thought I would then know what was going on and could warn him if needed. It certainly made my brain active, looking out for him and me as well as any lurking potholes along with cars on the road.

He did just fine. It was wonderful to get out again and ride around the lake. We even stopped and took in the trees, water, waves, and ducks. It was refreshing to the soul. It interested me that there almost no other bicycles out there, but many walkers and a few fisher people. Some of the best gifts in life are free.


Paula

No comments: