Sunday, July 24, 2016

50th HS Class Reunion

Hello,

I was too young to go, but I went anyway and did not tell any of my former classmates who never guessed. I remember when my mother went to her 50th HS reunion and she was quite old. We rode on a float in the Elizabeth parade, as mom had and had lunch with classmates. One of our former teachers was also able to join us. It was a great time to catch up on each other’s lives. Four of the class has died. I remember mom talking about the small number of people who were still alive in her class. My class was 28 people when we graduated so that is not such a large percentage gone.

We had a nice visit with my brother and then drove on home to beat a coming storm, but drove right into it instead. The rain came down in torrents, wind blew and lightning flashed. The announcer on the radio kept talking about taking shelter, but there was none to be had for some miles, consequently I kept driving slowly hoping I would see some open business so we could get into shelter. We finally found a place, but the rain was coming so hard that we sat in the car discussing whether we wanted to get out. The announcer said the storm center would be past in eight minutes so we decided to sit a little longer. Sooner than the prescribed time the rain, wind and lightning became less intense allowing us to drive on in relative comfort. The warning had also talked about flash flooding so I was especially careful going into the lower places which had quite a lot of water, but it was not excessive.

We talked about the last big rain storm that we drove in when we were in St. Louis. It seems to have been the ultimate storm. Or at least we hope it remains the ultimate storm. At times we drove under an over pass where the water came off the upper level in sheets. At least this time it was just the rain even though there was quite a lot of it.


Paula

No comments: