Monday, July 18, 2016

Bike to Work

Hello,

Leroy rode his bike to work today for the first time since June 23 when this eye problem started. Perhaps it is because I invited him to take a bike ride with me last evening and we went eight miles. His ride to work is only three miles, but the downside is that more of it is on city streets. It also looked as if it might rain. He wore his rain coat so he was almost prepared for that possibility. He took along our camping towel which is quite small, but absorbent. He could change clothes at work so he felt he could deal with wet if it happened. It did not rain here so he was probably just hot and sweaty in that raincoat. When riding the bike he wears his patch over his right eye (He switches the covered eye from time to time.) so he can better see the traffic on his left.

I rode the bike to work on Saturday. It was quite an uneventful ride. I just gained a sense of peace as I was out there much of the time by myself for the morning ride. The path is canopied by trees in many places with mown grass on the sides. The river is visible for the beginning miles. Again I have to go about three miles on city streets, but Saturday morning is not the busiest time except for the farmer’s market and I avoid that area. I am proud of myself for riding to work for four days. Last year I believe it was only once. It does get easier with more trips even though I still had to talk myself into it.

Leroy is going to lead a church bike ride this Wednesday evening. He had talked about me doing it without him, but I would imagine that he now feels up to the task. One positive thing about these rides is that there is no pressure to go a certain distance. Also speed is more each rider’s choice, but there might be a need in each rider to keep up with the group.


Paula

No comments: