Friday, June 3, 2016

Tired

Hello,

I washed the remaining five windows while the sun was shining in other windows. I like looking out through all this clean glass. I am reading, for our book club, Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. It is set in Iceland in the late 1700’s, early 1800’s. They talk about having skin over the windows. How fortunate we are to be able to afford the luxury of glass that we can clean and look out.

After cleaning the windows, hanging out a load of clothes, and generally picking up, I left for shopping. I like going on Friday morning because it is not so busy. “It must be because I got started late,” I thought as I saw so many cars on the road and people in the stores.

Finally at the last store I asked the clerk why it was so busy. By this time I was wondering if there was a holiday that I had forgotten about. This astute person thought it was just that school was out and parents were out with their children. Even though we had been very busy at the library yesterday because school was over for the year, I had not made the connection to shopping. What were they shopping for more food, since kids would be home?

I still have over one hundred pages to read in the book, Burial Rites, but I would recommend it. It informs me more about a time and a place. It is based on a true incident. Someday I might like to go to Iceland. I remember Miriam did a report on it when she was in school and I was intrigued by the country.

Leroy and I are both working tomorrow. I am considering riding the bike to work. In the morning it might not look as appealing. At least it will be cool then. I would like to shrink the mileage by about half, but that is not to be. Can I keep my resolve up when I ride by myself? Maybe.


Paula

No comments: