Monday, June 20, 2016

Service Berries

Hello,

Saturday, Leroy and I both rode bikes to Ely. Leroy planned to pick mulberries. In Ely he learned that there were not many berries that he could reach. Are we both shrinking or was the tree trimmed? He spoke with another friend there and learned that they have service berry trees in their yard. Leroy looked up a lot of information about them. They are a native plant that we had not met before. I still have not met the tree. Leroy picked them until he got tired, biked home, washed those berries, and made a rhubarb service berry crisp.

He called and asked for my crisp recipe. Seems to me that guy does not know me as well as I thought he did. I laughed, said, “I do not know,” and proceeded to make up a recipe on the spot. The crisp turned out quite fine. I will try to pick some more of those service berries after work tonight. They are quite a mild tasting fruit that was used by our native population. I like eating some of their choices.

I found a kite on a clearance sale and bought it for Leroy for father’s day even though we do not buy things for each other on those special days. Did I buy that new kite for me just so we would have an excuse to get out with kites?  It was so warm yesterday that we went in the evening to the arboretum. It was quite fine, but there was very little wind. We went to another open area in the park. I got out one of the old kites which we had brought so I would have a kite to fly. It lifted up rather easily. The new kite is heavier with a long tail and is made of fabric rather than plastic. At any rate Leroy could not get his kite in the air. I graciously let him fly mine as I helped fold up the tail and put the new away. It was not long before Leroy came up to me with his kite all put away. The mosquitoes had found him. He had about seven bites and I had none. Sort of how life goes for us. Leroy is all bitten up and I wonder what he is talking about.


Paula

No comments: