Saturday, June 25, 2016

Brain adjustment

Hello,

Leroy’s brain has been struggling to adapt to this new environment, sometimes successfully and sometimes not. He woke feeling quite fine. I announced at some point in the early morning that I was going to work in the community garden. He said, “I will come too.”

On the half mile walk there, he hung on my arm some but seemed to navigate quite well. Once at the garden he weeded in the shade while I braved the sun. Weeding was not quite the joy it had been the day before when the soil released its hold just right and the temperatures were cooler, but it was still nice. I finished weeding the onions and weeded some by the lettuce. Leroy weeded the cucumbers and put additional compost soil around the onions. Then we both sat in the shade and pulled leaves from the lamb’s quarters. It became such a large amount that we froze some. For the most part Leroy managed quite well, but became so hot. I do not consider that part of his brain, but just the sun and high temp.

On the way home we gave away a kohlrabi to a young woman who was sitting on her porch. She had many children around her as we discussed just what this vegetable was like. She would have liked some collards, but I suggested she try those kohlrabi leaves as I had been going to eat them. Before we moved on she commented with a grin, “All of these children are not mine. Three are mine and three are nieces and nephews. The rest are neighbor kids.” Considering the various colors represented I was not surprised to learn that not all were hers.

I was quite happy to share with her. It appeared they did not have a lot besides joy in each other. For instance they had the door open and a fan running. I am now grateful for the AC that has been running for some time. What luxury I live in.

This afternoon Leroy has had a little more difficulty from time to time feeling dizzy. I suspect some of that is the day’s effort of struggling to focus. We do anticipate that the new glasses will work a miracle for him. What a blessing that he can get a diagnosis and a solution.

See a picture of the new pirate Leroy. 



Paula

No comments: