Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Neighborhood

Hello,

It seemed like an ordinary walk to the grocery store to get a few things. On the way I pass a laundry mat. Because of the shade I was across the street from it when a man who was outside the establishment yelled at me. “Is he talking to me? I do not know him.” I thought.

After a bit I realized there was no one else he could be talking to, as the woman ahead of me just kept walking. Then I understood him to ask, “Do you have a phone?”

I have heard that the laundry mat is a drug traffic place, although that could be mostly closer to night time. Why would he want to know about my phone? Is he trying to take it? Boy will he be surprised if that is the case because my phone cost about $10. Certainly there is no resale market for it. “Yes,” I hollered genteelly.

At that point he checked traffic and came across. He did not seem threatening, about my height with a face that could have been shaved two days ago. He was wearing a cap and a stained white tee shirt that was quite stretched out of shape, perhaps because he kept using it as a towel to wipe his face.

He commented, “I need to call work and my phone needs time on it.”

I pulled out my antiquated style flip phone saying, “It is not a smart phone. Do you know how to use it?”

“I have one just like that,” he exclaimed with a smile, “It works well. My father got it for me.”

He proceeded to put in the numbers, but there was no answer. He tried again with the same result. Then he went on to say, “They said there was no work for the rest of the week and I need work. I can manage for a day or two more before I am out of money.”

He tried the phone again and then sighed, “I wish they would answer. I only do laundry about every three weeks because it is so expensive.”

He talked a little more before he headed back across the street saying, “Thank you and God Bless you.”

On my way home he was still there, came back across the street and asked if he could try again. Then he talked about working for a temp agency. He again made a remark about God as he thanked me. I said, “I will pray for you.”

“I will pray for you too,” he said, “What is your name?”

We exchanged first names and proceeded with the rest of our day.

I was struck by the fact that I am so rich that I have never wondered what I would do after the money ran out. I just go to the grocery store and buy what I want. I look for sales, but that is not because it is totally necessary. I also wonder is this why I am in this neighborhood, to meet and pray for my neighbors?


Paula

No comments: