Friday, June 17, 2016

Buying Fruit

Hello,

One of my favorite things about summer is buying fresh fruit that tastes better because it is in season. Today I came home with cherries, grapes, honeydew melon, and some colored peppers that taste almost sweet enough to be a fruit. The only problem is eating all of this before it gets too tired. We already have watermelon, apples and bananas in the house. The bananas were even free because they were mischarged and this store’s policy is that they are free if there had been a mistake. Riches indeed.

I went to pick some mulberries, but most of the branches were too high for me to comfortably reach so my bucket that had been full of anticipation just had enough for two bowls of cereal. I like to make rhubarb mulberry crisp and that was not to be. Leroy is talking of riding the bike to Ely tomorrow when I go for work. He will see if he is more successful than I was. I hope so. Height does have a use once in a while.

Last night at our neighborhood meeting I learned a lot about water runoff. I am happy to report that the city is looking into ways of managing it much better than has been done in the past. It will cost quite a lot of money, but they are working on ways to pay for it. What a good thing that it is considered important enough to follow through even if it will not be embraced with open arms by all because of the cost, but there will be great benefit. It seems to me that people are finally realizing the value and power of water in our lives. The infrastructure that has been in place for a hundred years is not doing the job that needs to be done. One surprising fact I learned, Kentucky blue grass is not a good rain collector. It might work well in Kentucky, but is not the best in Iowa. If I could be alive 100 years from now I might not recognize this place at all.


Paula

No comments: