Wednesday, February 11, 2015

It is all relative

Hello,

First I should let you know that Leroy’s sore wrist is magically better as of yesterday. That second fall, when pushing the car, seemed not to affect him at all. After he hurt his wrist he told me that his throat was not noticeably sore because it was so much less pain than the wrist. Does that mean if you have a pain you should create a worse one somewhere else? When I was growing up, I read a story about someone cutting out the hole in their blanket. I am sure you can see where that was heading, a cold sleep experience.

Gas prices started to fall and I was pleased to get gas at lower and lower cost. Before I went to MN Leroy filled the car with gas that cost a mere $1.77. On my way to Brian’s I purchased some that cost $1.95 and thought to myself about how much that was even though a short week before that $1.95 looked very good and competitive. Than in the Cities I felt I had better purchase more gas because I could not make it to my favorite station in Clear Lake, IA. That city gas was a terrible $1.99. With a sigh I filled up knowing that it was better to have it than to run out of gas on the road. I was so happy to find Clear Lake gas to be $1.77 again. Good old Iowa!

This week however, the stations that I see have now raised prices to $1.99 and just yesterday it was $2.09. I bought gas at the $1.99 and thought rather philosophically that change was coming once again. I did not want to disparage Iowa, after all. It was still much lower than it had been in the not so recent past. Our impressions of high and low prices change with time and circumstances.

It is also amazing that when we have had temperatures below zero for a few days we find ten above to be much warmer than it had been when we came at it from a higher temperature. Does this all point to our adaptability? I hope so.


Paula

No comments: