Tuesday, February 10, 2015

In a Rut

Hello,

Boy was I in a rut. Last night I came home from work, turned into the alley, curved over behind the neighbors parked cars (just like I always do) turned toward the open garage door, got to the middle of the alley and stopped. I tried to give a little more gas with no forward movement. Then I tried reverse with the same result of wheels spinning like mad but no progress. I immediately turned off the car and called my knight in shining armor. That is Leroy if you have not already guessed.

“I will be right out,” he said, “welcome home.”

I waited a few seconds then got out of the car traversing the solid lumpy hills of ice proud of myself for still being in an upright posture.

I was unable to find the ice chopper, but our shovel has a metal blade so I grabbed that and went outside to do battle. I got a bit of it up after struggling and speaking firmly to it to give up. My knight must be having trouble finding his horse is what I was thinking when Leroy came out. I asked what took so long thinking something might be wrong. His reply, “I had to go to the bathroom,” made me laugh.

He got down the ice chopper from the rafters of the garage, no wonder I could not find it, and attacked more places by the wheels. After a bit he declared, “Get in and I will shove the car over and you should be fine.”

“Be careful,” I said as I started the car opening the window so we could give and receive directions without shouting.

In a few seconds the car moved over and Leroy slid down to the ground. He managed to avoid falling on his hurt wrist. In fact it was about as softly as a person can land on pointy ice. I got the car in the garage and we both went out and got up more of that offensive stuff. This afternoon I once again went out so that I have a clear space of about two feet square that should give me good traction into the garage. I am so grateful for front wheel drive vehicles. The inventor of that deserves many thanks.

All in all it was a fun time with a lot of laughs.


Paula

No comments: