Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Car Troubles

Hello,

Our older car (1999) has been having a hard time starting. When Leroy had the tires rotated the person there checked the battery. It was low so we had it changed and almost immediately the starting issue developed. Early today we dropped it off at the place to be checked. Unfortunately there were no forms in the box for Leroy to tell them what the problem was. So he just left the keys, thinking he would call later. In half an hour he called me to tell me that the phone was always busy and would I just go back there now that they were open and talk to them. What an old school idea! Talk to people directly! I called for at least another hour with the same result as Leroy. Once it actually rang for more than a minute and then was cut off.

When I went to the place, I explained that we had left the key, but there was no form to let them know. I explained the problem, signed the paper, and commented that their phone was busy all the time. “That was the phone company’s fault,” one guy exclaimed, “they had the phone off the hook.” There is another old school idea with the phone “off the hook”.

Hopefully we will have a second car that works in the next day or two. It is hard to imagine that about two years ago we were seriously talking about having just one car. Now I look ahead and think it will be quite a problem for both Leroy and I to get to our places of work tomorrow. Today was easy, because I am off, I took him and will pick him up. Unfortunately our work hours to not jive, instead they do a strange dance.

Also adding to the excitement this morning was the malfunctioning garage door closer. Leroy left ahead of me. I tried to close the garage door, but it would come down a little way and then go back up. After a couple tries I got out using the switch inside with the same result. Then I noticed that a board might be covering the beam, moved the board, but it did not help. Then I tried closing it manually. For some reason I was unsuccessful. At that point I decided no one was out trying to steal anything early on a morning with negative temperatures and drove off to pick up Leroy at the station. On the way I had to stop for a garbage truck, and almost every stop light that was on the path. Leroy did tell me he wondered what had happened to me. I could have called him, but I am not so good at using the phone in the car. Seems like an unfortunate event waiting to happen.

On the way to Leroy’s work we stopped at our garage and he was able to shut the door. We will wait for warmer weather to check on that situation. For now I am saying that Leroy can park on that side of the garage because he is strong enough or tall enough to get the job done. I am just a weak, helpless female. Another old school idea?


Paula

No comments: