Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Storms and Quiet

Hello,

We have certainly had the storms here. We have been safe and our possessions unharmed. One of the torrential storms Leroy and I slept through. The rain gauge had almost four inches of water in it. Because yesterday’s storm was during the day we were well aware of it, I at work and Leroy at home.

Just before it got quite bad a young man stuck his head in the library door and asked, “Can we take shelter in here?”

“Certainly, come on in!” I replied. By that time the rain was coming down in buckets.

I learned that the younger man was riding his bike from the south to Ely when he noticed the black sky ahead. Fortunately for him a middle aged man in a truck stopped and told him to put his bike in the back and get in just minutes before the rain came.

We did not go to the back of the library even though the sirens went off, but we all stayed away from the windows as the weather radio said it was not a tornado, but a server thunderstorm. In retrospect I wonder if I should have taken us deeper into the building. If anyone had been an unaccompanied child I would have insisted, but I figure adults can make up their own minds.

I was grateful to have the storm stop before I needed to drive home. I feel only slightly guilty that I did not get to the post office to mail the interlibrary loan books. Today will be just fine for that task.

There is a house in our neighborhood with a tree on top of it. The tree is still attached to the ground with a rather large bulge up at the root area.

Wind and rain are still stronger than we are.

My boarding pass is printed, the carry-on mostly filled, and I am turning west.

Leroy and I have left some things at Miriam’s so we do not have to bring so much. I/we have made a list so we know what these things are. The list has been lost almost as many times as we have made it. Today I looked, grumbled, looked some more in the most logical places, grumbled, and took a break from the search. I was sure that I had put it someplace that I would need to approach before traveling again. Finally I found it in my fanny bag. I had thought about not bringing that since Miriam declares it the height of no fashion sense. Since it so carefully held this information, I will bring it for sure.


Paula

No comments: