Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Bounty of the earth

Hello,

Yesterday I was going out to the recycle bin when I heard a tremendous bang. I jumped inside and outside of my skin, looked around, and discovered a walnut had fallen on a parked car. Yesterday I was out by the compost bin when another big bang startled me. Almost immediately I felt some moisture on my leg. A walnut had fallen on the sidewalk beside me; the green outer hull was broken apart. The force these missiles gather as they come from high above is a bit daunting. No need to fire from a gun just drop from a great height and I could not sustain the impact.

I picked green beans this morning, assuming that no one else had come, but that was not the case or the beans are hitting a lull. I got part of a grocery bag full. But I had taken a knife so I harvested some brussel sprouts, as well as two zucchini and a number of small tomatoes.

Leroy called to tell me that one of his coworkers who also lives in the neighborhood would like some green beans. If he had called earlier I would have let her pick them as it is, I will still give them to her. I am happy to give up that time preparing and canning those things. Now in the winter I so appreciate them, but at the moment they look a bit different.

Maybe some time when Leroy is with me we can chop off the lettuce and it will produce a crop for the fall. I guess I could do it alone, but I just do not feel like putting forth the effort.

We have started to use our disappointingly small onions. I am not sure why, but I have never had a very successful crop. Onions seem so humble, but maybe they must be treated like royalty.


Paula

No comments: