Friday, July 11, 2014

Iowa Culture

Hello,

Miriam, the girls, and I walked along a paved country road to get to the house that Miriam lived in until she was four. Several cars went by and all the drivers waved. That was noticeable to these city kids. I have to confess that until they said something I had not given it a thought, but of course in Cedar Rapids we do not wave at passing cars. Miriam talked some about not looking people in the eye when walking past each other on the street and not smiling or greeting. Do people in cities miss something by not acknowledging others?

We were fortunate enough to see a fawn go across the road in front of us. That fawn was soon followed by mama. It has been a while since I have seen a deer so close as they have not shown themselves to me in my neighborhood.

The girls were excited to see rabbits as well. Those small wildlife creatures are much more common around here. The squirrels are the more frequently observed species. I know some of them nest in the trees that are very close, just about six feet outside my window.

Miriam also commented on how accommodating drivers were on the interstate in Iowa. She felt that it was not the same in Utah. The old established trees here also caught her eye. Utah is too arid to have such stately residents surviving all sorts of years lots of rain fall or little rain fall.

Leroy is certainly busier now. I am once again giving up on keeping track of where he is working. For instance tomorrow we are both working, but I will only go to one place. He will work at the museum, leave there to do a nursing home service, and go back to the museum to finish his day.


Paula

No comments: