Tuesday, July 29, 2014

In the gardens again

Hello,

I went to tai chi in Ely this morning so I went prepared to pull weeds in the garden. It had been watered some time earlier so it was quite muddy. That makes it easier to pull those entrenched items, but I was dirty when finished with my time, but not finished with the weeds.

At home I thought I would rush right over to the community garden and pull more weeds since I was on a roll, but could not convince myself do get over there. I did make it at about noon when the construction workers were having lunch at the picnic table which is quite close. When they saw me looking through the plants, one of them asked me what the purple pole beans were. I picked some for them and took them over. All but one of them tasted them and thought they were quite good.

I visited with them for a while and then mentioned the beautiful purple hot peppers. I did say that I had not eaten any because I understood that they were quite hot. One guy then told me, “I saw a younger guy come in (I suspect it was the neighbors 20+ son), pick one of the purple peppers, and take a bite out of it.”

“Oh,” I asked, “what did he do then?”

With a demonstration of the movements he smiled, “He stuck his arms up in the air, danced on first one leg then the other, and spit it out. He looked like he was in pain.”

I got one of those peppers to show them how pretty they are. One man said, “I will take this home to my mother. If she says it is hot, it is hot.”

I found and picked enough purple beans for a nice amount to eat and some to share with our landlord and his wife. Robin declared that she liked them better than green beans. By the way they turned green as they cooked. I also liked them quite a lot. Our climbing poles are rather short so I still had to bend down to find this goodness. Next time it will be higher.


Paula

No comments: