Thursday, July 31, 2014

What to Cook?

Hello,

I just thought again that it is Sarah’s 40th birthday. How can it be that she was born 40 years ago in Lancaster, PA.? You know I am not old enough to have a 40 year old child. I think I am about 50 or did I pass that a long time ago? Time flies when one is not paying attention.

Cooking quick meals seems to be the modus operandi at my house. Unlike my children I do not have weekly plans for meals. It is more like when I walk in the door, “What shall we have tonight?”

I realized that we had a zucchini in the refrigerator. So with Leroy’s help, I always wail for help and Leroy rescues, we made zucchini pancakes from the recipe I got from sister Carolyn. Leroy added some powdered ginger and nutmeg for a little zing. They were good topped with applesauce and perhaps some chokecherry honey or real maple syrup. Usually I do not add the sweets, but I was given the honey which is quite good and I read that genuine maple syrup actually has a bit of benefit for us. Because the meal did not have enough veggies we also steamed three enormous swiss chard leaves. These leaves were so big that I thought one would be enough, but Leroy voted for two and then I decided that no point in leaving one to be cooked by itself and it would be eaten without muttering as leftovers. Well when we were done eating the pile of swiss chard leaves fit in one of my smallest storage bowls. First they cook to about one half their original size and secondly it tasted so good, I had to have seconds. I also ate a few small cherry tomatoes making it a fine meal at the last minute.


Paula

No comments: