Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Garden Day

Hello,

I finally made it to the garden about 10:30. I had a dr. checkup first and before that I hung out a load of clothes.

The sun was a bit hot by the time I got there. Unfortunately the green beans are all in the sun. I managed to pick two bags and hoped that it would be enough for a canner full. The workers at the old fire station that is being converted to living quarters for college students greeted me. One of them asked, “Is this really a community garden? And anyone can pick things?”

“Yes, help yourself.” I replied.

“I will take home some lettuce,” he said.

“I am happy to hear that because it is getting old and soon it will not be good.” I told him.

Tonight first Leroy, and then I went to the garden to water as it is getting dry in some places. We took lawn chairs and books so we could be entertained while the water ran. First the next door neighbor man came over and told me that they had picked beans for supper from the same area that I picked just that morning. When I told him that I had picked and canned seven quarts he was impressed, but also told me, “You missed quite a few.”

Soon his wife came over too, and they wanted to know about our purple pole beans as well as the soybeans. I hope they use some of each when they get ripe.

The woman told us that a homeless girl had come last night asking if she could get some veggies. I am glad that the word is getting out. The neighbor also asked if we have the names of some places where she could go for help. I have just such a list and I will give it to her.

A bit later another guy who has worked on the garden came. I guess the garden is our social spot. We did not get much work done, but talked a lot.


Paula

No comments: