Saturday, July 26, 2014

Leroy and I

Hello,

Leroy and I worked all day today. We hung out two loads of laundry before we headed off to Ely with the purpose of working in the garden. Leroy wanted to go to the library to get some more seeds for a fall planting of radishes. We also got some more onions since there were still some blubs there. Then Leroy could not resist picking out a DVD and some books. I generally pick them out for him, but his taste and my taste are different so I am not always successful.

In the garden we pulled weeds like people possessed. And we were possessed as the gnats and mosquitoes noticed we were mostly unprotected. I try to remember all things, but besides bug spray I also forgot a container for mulberries. The friendly neighbors let us use some squirts of the good bug spray and that kept the insect crowd in check.

We have only been there a couple times to pull weeds so they were thriving. Some spots do look better now, but certainly not all. It will require a few more times to get it looking respectable.

The mulberries were very nice, not as plentiful as last year, but quite fine. I intend to make a rhubarb mulberry crisp and share some with the owner of the garden.

This afternoon Leroy and I went to the community garden. The beans needed to be picked and we managed to get enough to can another seven quarts. Very nice! There were four large cucumbers. How did they get so huge when I did not even know they were there? I gave three of them away. I also picked two zucchini, but with sadness as I saw the bugs have moved in and once they are in town the plant is history in a short time. Can one plant zucchini for the fall? I have not heard of it, but it might outsmart the bugs. Leroy was tired after getting the beans in the canner, but I had little sympathy as I did the entire job alone the last time.

T

These are green beans and a purple pole bean from the community garden.

Paula

No comments: