Sunday, July 27, 2014

Things To Do

Hello,

Leroy has a nursing home service this afternoon. As a result he will have walked four miles today. That is four miles without really working at it. We both enjoy our walks to church in the morning. I was rather surprised to meet four young guys on the way and then a little later a woman who stopped to tell Leroy her tale of woe about the other woman who was walking ahead of us. Even though Leroy was not wearing his church collar she surmised that we were going to church and gave us a venom laced mini sermon. There were several other walkers out there. Why? Oh it is because it is 8:30 rather than 7:30. Usually only the occasional car is seen going down the street early on a Sunday morning.

This morning I opened the pressure cooker to take the jars out. I gleefully lifted out the first two beautiful jars. The third felt strangely light as the bottom opened up and beans spilled out into the water. Oh no! All that work and it must be thrown away! I had wondered when I put in one of the jars I heard an unidentifiable light tap sound so I was not truly surprised. Was it an old jar? Did I set it done too firmly? Was the temperature change greater than with the others? No answers here, but then I moved on to feeling grateful that it was just one jar and I have a warning to check the future jars more carefully. Also glad the pressure cooker did not explode as they have done from time to time. We were not hurt by it at all, but just inconvenienced.

Today I made a rhubarb mulberry crisp. I have not yet tasted it, but it smells quite enticing. I will share with Don whose tree it is. I put in a little more sugar than I would have for just Leroy and I as I know other people in this country seem to like more sugar.


Paula

No comments: