Monday, June 2, 2014

Riding bikes

Hello,

This year I have hardly been out on the bike. Some years I remember being impatient because I could not get out. Now I have hardly thought about it. Saturday when Leroy was gone I took a ride in the late afternoon. It was late because of the heat. At least I figured the sun would not be so intense. In the end I would say it did not matter much as sweat poured off me in the 88 degrees when I stopped. I guess that l stripped off a couple pounds not that I needed that to happen. The result of that was that I drank much more water before going to bed and trotted to the bathroom at least three times during the night.

Yesterday, Leroy and I took another bike ride late in the day. Weather conditions had changed slightly, but it was still conducive to profuse sweating even in the shade. I tried to drink more as I rode thinking that might diminish the need for copious drinking to build fluids later. It helped some, but during the night it rained. All of the windows had been open before we went to bed. I got up and closed them as Leroy slept on, later I got up and opened them as he still slept on. In the morning he was surprised to learn that it had rained during the night.

It also rained earlier in the evening much to our satisfaction as we had decided the community garden needed water. We are so happy to have it come from the sky as the job is done more efficiently than we could possibly do. Also the guy who watered this garden last year is a fireman who was stationed in the building next to the garden. He said it would take him six hours to water. What a blessing it is to have the rain when we needed it!

I can tell that we have been here a longer time than in some places, because we have so many more things happening. Leroy is heading up the community garden and I have gotten involved in getting Little Free Libraries in the neighborhood. We have not even had time to see about having the garden in Ely. I would still like to put in some vines there, but maybe it will not happen.


Paula

No comments: