Monday, June 23, 2014

How life changes, or not

Hello,

I realized that I forgot to tell you that Leroy spotted a ten dollar bill on the ground as we walked home from the garden. The other greens were more important to me? At least those greens gave us immediate returns.

Yesterday a couple at church celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by having a concert including organ, piano, voice, and violin. It was announced in church and then the woman of this couple came up to choir practice and invited all to come. Almost pleaded as she thought few would come.

After lunch, Leroy and I walked back a mile in the light rain that was now falling. There were many people there, over 200. I commented to Leroy that I did not even know the couple. Leroy knew the man because he in the Stephen Ministry program. The concert was quite fine and uplifting. Then there was the reception. I was all for slipping out the back door and going home. Leroy, however, wanted to speak with some people.

While he went off and talked to someone, I also found some people to visit with. What a relief! Even at age 66 I do not want to be a “wallflower”. There was a woman there that Leroy was sure he should know, but could not think of her name. I insisted I did not know her. Sometime later she came up to Leroy and said, “I should know you, but cannot think of your name.”

She was from the congregation in Des Moines. I had been in the choir with her. Then I did remember her, in fact I had known her better than Leroy had known her.

In the end we left with almost the last people to leave the church. Sound familiar? We had stayed an hour and a half after the concert was over. Earlier, I would not have bet on that happening. Wow! Guess we know more people here than I thought we did.


Paula

No comments: