Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Our Gardens

Hello,

Because of the recent rain, Leroy and I got out early and weeded our front yard garden. The hardest part was carefully lifting the netting and wires. Some of the marigolds had grown through the netting so those flowers are now gone, but the plant remains to produce more. The netting is back in place protecting the produce from squirrels. We also weeded in the sidewalk in front of the house and the sidewalk of one of the neighbors. We have to get this neighborhood in shape. One of the older neighbors has many rogue trees growing in their hedge. I wish that I would see them outside sometime and I would offer to get rid of those trees. I can’t imagine they really want them there crowding out the hedge.

After weeding the garden and the sidewalk we did some more weeding by the side of the house. I am quite pleased with it all.

Our landlords take us to the airport when it is too early for the bus. They did not want to be paid for this so I told them we would barter. That appealed to them so this is not just sheer generosity on our part. It helps both of us because as nearly as I can determine neither of them is excited to weed. Last night Leroy cleaned out some gutters on the house. They have bought two large, or at least they seem large, rain barrels. That will be great for the watering task.

Tonight there is a work night in the community garden. We have a large heap of compost that needs to be spread out to nourish more of the space. It looks cloudy now, but I hope for no rain.

I thought our garden in the front looks so good that I had Leroy take pictures of me and the garden posting them on Facebook as my cover picture and my profile picture for the world to see. Check me out.

Paula

No comments: