Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Gardening

Hello,

Leroy has been disgruntled because the last few times he had posted group garden work, he or the two of us were the only ones who showed up. Last night he tells me that four other people came so he was delighted. In his words, “We even got a lot of weeds pulled,” however not to be too optimistic he added, “but there are still many more to pull.”

I also went to the garden in Ely. The vine seeds that Leroy planted are all coming but one hill. There are some pots that he put in another place for the owner of the garden. At the time he came home and stated, “I am not sure I was understanding what was being said about those pots. I think he wanted me to bury the pots in another part of the garden.”

I believe misunderstanding is rampant. Last night I talked to the owner and he commented that the pots have all disappeared. Where Leroy planted seeds are the plants that were in the pots. I also picked a disappointing amount of mulberries. When we had ridden on the bike trail we found some trees loaded with mulberries. Does that mean this tree is just later or it is not having a good year?

I pulled radishes for our landlady this morning. They were about the size of a large shooter marble down to a long tough skinny thread that did not want to be cut. Leroy had already pulled all our radishes. When I look at a radish I assume they should be easy to grow, but it has not happened here. Perhaps they just do not like the front yard in Cedar Rapids. Unless you get scientific about it gardening is fraught with the whim of weather, worms, and witches. I was going to write soil, but it did not fit in the line of alliteration that I had going. Is there a w word for dirt?


Paula

No comments: