Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Shopping


Hello,

Shopping is not usually on my list of tasks for a Wednesday. However one store that had some desired items on sale also had a senior day in which most of their name brand products were 20% off and most other items were 15% off. I had no idea what was excluded, but decided to take a chance that my list was included. Also this store was only about two miles away. If it had been warmer and I had wanted only light weight things, I might have walked there. It struck me as extravagant to use the car an additional day.

In addition to sales, I had some coupons. I was pleased that I remembered to hand all of them over. I also stopped the checker from putting the purchases in a plastic bag, but handed over my cloth bags. After he told me the total was $35, I asked “Do you automatically ask for an ID or did you just assume that I look old enough to get the senior discount?”

He did not crack a smile as he said, “Is today senior day?”

“Yes, according to your ad,” I said.

He then had to call to verify the day. After which he needed to cancel my receipt as the discount number needed to go in first. He then had to call for help to open his register drawer where he had slipped my coupons. I felt sorry for the people waiting behind me, although they did open another register. I gained by waiting as my total was then $28.

Now I am wondering, why does just the virtue of being older entitle one to discounts? I realize that some are on a fixed tight income, but certainly not all seniors. I suppose it is like any help that goes to all because of some particular circumstances. Some need the help and some don’t. Life is never really fair across the board is it? It seems that the needy should get rather than just everyone. Should I ignore it because I can pay the full price?

Paula

No comments: