Saturday, September 29, 2012

Problem Solved


Hello,

While waiting for my flight in the Chicago airport, I sat so I could see the activity outside the window. From the place we were boarding one was required to go downstairs, walk across a bit of tarmac, and then climb stairs into the plane. As I watched a woman was brought out in a wheelchair. She got out of the chair, walked over, grabbed the hand rail at the bottom of the stairs, and could not get her foot to rise up to the step height. She tried unsuccessfully with both feet. The guy who was with her did not push her as I might have done, but indicated she should get back in the wheelchair. He then wheeled her out of the way. Another guy who had been working with the baggage came over, brought up a ramp, unfolded the many pieces of this contraption, and lined it up perfectly over the stairs. The lady was then wheeled over to the end of the ramp, got up, again gripped the hand rails and proceeded to walk slowly up and into the plane. Oh so that is how it is done. I suppose this has happened before.

It took some time to get the ramp folded and packed out of the way once again. From the discussion I could hear at the desk behind me, they like to know about this need ahead of time and this time it was a surprise. I suppose they could be faster about it then. Luckily they could find this portable ramp when it was needed.

I am feeling better. I even took a mile walk today, but I feel tired because of it.

Leroy is working this Saturday, today. He will work again next Saturday. That has made my time long since I am not really doing much. I did do two loads of laundry and hung them out. Leroy helped with the first load since he had not yet left.

I am hoping we can go to a park this evening or perhaps tomorrow afternoon. It is so beautiful in our neighborhood with all of the trees turning color. It would be wonderful to walk the trails.
Paula

No comments: