Friday, September 7, 2012

Such Times


Hello,

I did not lie awake so much last night, but I woke up several times to go to the bathroom and shut windows because of the rain. We only got a little less than half an inch, but glad of it anyway.

My rutabagas are being eaten by a pest. When something eats the stuff I want I call it a pest if they were to eat weeds I would consider than wonderful. It is colder today and I am hoping that whatever it is needs heat to survive. I think it is those cabbage worms and I know they are a warm weather creature. I also planted radishes that are not quite ready as well as two sprigs of parsley that seem to have been attacked to the point of no survival unless there is a miracle. I was hoping to dig them when frost came and move them into the house. Maybe in time we will be able to eat some Swiss chard. I still pick a small tomato every couple days or so. This week we ate the most expensive green pepper as it appears to be the only one on the plant. It was quite tasty.

We have one expensive sweet banana pepper growing, but it is not ready yet for us to consume. Next year we will hope for more production. I think we will try to search out the community gardens that are in the neighborhood.

Last night there was a walking tour of the historic parts of our neighborhood and we forgot to go. I am certainly disappointed in that.

Leroy took yesterday off and got a lot of work done. He repaired a window in the attic. It had broken in one of the wind storms allowing some creatures to move in and leave droppings around. We suspect bats. He also re-finished the cider press so we can take that back to Brian who is going to make some cider this fall.

I have felt so very tired today. Last week Leroy was complaining about tired and I mostly ignored him. Now I wonder if we have a little bug.

I also paid two car insurance, renters insurance, and life insurance bills today. I felt poor when I did this, but I should really feel rich because we have the money to do this and we can still meet survival needs, but right now I did not want to put it to this use. It seems more exciting to spend money on frivolous things.

Paula

No comments: