Monday, September 24, 2012

Trip Home


Hello,

I again got up early to get on a plane that was leaving at 6:00 am. Not really a bad time, but I woke up at 3:00 EST when the alarm was set for four. Somehow I could not get back to a deep sleep. The taxi came right on time at about 4:30 to whisk me off to the airport. The cost turned out to be ten dollars higher than expected, but I had enough money so it was not a problem. Does the cost of gas cause it to rise? Although I did wonder; did he know I was a greenhorn on taxi riding, or a greenhorn on the layout of the city? He did take a little different route than Sarah did, but I think it was parallel so it should not have been that different.

Unlike the smaller Cedar Rapids airport this place was already quite busy and I had to wait in the security line for at least ten or maybe fifteen minutes. But I was there more than an hour ahead of time. I had plenty of time to find my gate and get settled in with some reading material as well as puzzles.

Just a comment that all my planes were fairly full, guess there are still a lot of people flying around. The woman sitting next to me mentioned that she used to do business flying three days a week. Sounded excessive to me.

As we were approaching the airport in Chicago, I looked out the window and saw another plane off to the left, ahead, and below us. There was still a lot of city flowing past under us. As I watched we seemed to be catching up with this plane next door. Then we were parallel with them. I could see this plane more and more clearly. We both were going down at about the same time, but as near as I could tell we had ceased to come closer together. Then just before we touched down there were buildings between us. The woman next to me commented that she had never seen another plane land at almost the same time like that. I got the impression that many people were watching and wondering about this. Were we heading for the same spot and if so who would win? That O’Hare airport has many options so two or maybe more planes can land at once.

Paula

No comments: