Monday, September 17, 2012

Flying



Hello,

Because my plane was leaving at six in the morning, it seemed wise, but maybe not so necessary at this small airport to be there an hour ahead of time. Leroy tried in vain to set the alarm on the clock in the bedroom. After listening to much grumbling, I thought about the travel alarm, but I had packed that as Sarah had requested it for her trip to Tanzania. I then suggested he get the clock from the other bed room. That was easily accomplished by unplugging it, plugging it in, resetting the time, and then resetting the alarm. I got up at about 12:00 to go to the bathroom, noted the time and woke just a little before the alarm was to go off at 4:00. Because this clock numbers are smaller I could not read it without my glasses on so I checked my watch. It stated that it was just a bit before three o’clock. I then put my glasses on to learn that the other clock did not agree with that time, so out of bed walk, to the kitchen, check the stove clock and the microwave clock, and both agreed with my watch. I did not know how to cancel the alarm on the bedroom clock without turning on the light so I just lay back down and waited for it to go off an hour early. Such enough it went off at three so I could tell Leroy to reset it for an hour later. He did that chore, settled back down and drifted promptly off to sleep again. I was not so lucky. Needless to say I was quite tired for this trip.

My flights were uneventful and both of them were early making my connection in Chicago a breeze. Both flights took off in the westward direction and had to circle round to go East. Going out of Cedar Rapids we banked sharply in a tight circle giving me a good view of the lights of the city as we sailed away. I was glad that none of my motion sensitive family was sitting next to me as it could have been interesting.

I had not been picked up in DC before so I was a little concerned about that, but since I got there early, Sarah and the girls had not gotten there yet. Thank God that someone invented cell phones as it makes these situations fairly seamless and easy compared to the old days. Who wants those old days to come back anyway? Everything may not be perfect now, but everything was not perfect then.

Paula

No comments: