Thursday, September 20, 2012

Walking Together



Hello,

Yesterday when I picked up Lexi after school I was wearing my elephant hat from Cambodia. I got many compliments on it. So much so that even Lexi commented on it. If I were an astute business person I would certainly try to sell some. I still might given the comments that I get on it. But then would anyone else really want to wear it or are they just admiring it from a distance?

Sarah, who is reading my blog in Tanzania, tells me that she did indeed give the school my name, both at the front desk and to the teacher. I suspect the teacher still had it since I had no trouble going to the morning meeting, but I did not see the teacher after school. Once when Sarah was in kindergarten, I had sent a note for her to go to a friend’s house after school. Somehow the note did not get passed on to the bus driver and he dropped her off at the house. I could hear her cries a long ways away. Luckily I was home so no real harm was done. It seems there is always a chance for a slip up.

When I picked up Natalie she cried a little and indicated she wanted to stay at daycare by clinging to the care taker. That is a good sign that things are well there, but I was sorry that she cried about me. It did not last once we were out the door so that is good.

I must comment on the traffic the day of the power outage. We cross the street at a point where three streets come together. The cars were doing quite well at this intersection figuring out who would take the next turn. I did not know what to do without the light to help me out. A guy noticed my hesitation while he was standing there talking to someone else. He said, “You just have to step out in the street.” He proceeded to walk with me closest to the traffic. I thought that was a good deed. There are good people everywhere even in those big cities. Just have to remember that.

My parents always seemed reluctant to navigate in the city. I guess being on a farm miles from the city does that to you. Mom always thought there was danger there, but my cousins who lived in the city had parents who thought the farm was dangerous. I guess they were both right and both wrong.

Paula

No comments: